R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 05:29 PM
s1a1om
Tech Apprentice

It is my understanding that changing the battery location from transverse to in-line alters both the CG location, but also the alters the moment of inertia (a function of how far away the masses are from the CG) about the z-axis (vertical). By changing the moment of inertia, you are changing the amount of force that needs to be generated to get the vehicle to start turning and stop the rotation.

From wikipedia:
Yaw and pitch angular inertia
Unless the vehicle is very short, compared to its height or width, these are about equal. Angular inertia determines the rotational inertia of an object for a given rate of rotation. The yaw angular inertia tends to keep the direction the car is pointing changing at a constant rate. This makes it slower to swerve or go into a tight curve, and it also makes it slower to turn straight again. The pitch angular inertia detracts from the ability of the suspension to keep front and back tire loadings constant on uneven surfaces and therefore contributes to bump steer. Angular inertia is an integral over the square of the distance from the center of gravity, so it favors small cars even though the lever arms (wheelbase and track) also increase with scale. (Since cars have reasonable symmetrical shapes, the off-diagonal terms of the angular inertia tensor can usually be ignored.) Mass near the ends of a car can be avoided, without re-designing it to be shorter, by the use of light materials for bumpers and fenders or by deleting them entirely. If most of the weight is in the middle of the car then the vehicle will be easier to spin, and therefore will react quicker to a turn.
as a result, it would seem right that if you decreased the moment of inertia by using an inline configuration the car would have a higher tendency to "snap" as noted by some of the commenters. However, done right, it may allow you to carry more corner speed.

At least this is my understanding of the physics involved. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always up for learning something new.