R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rear arm length
Thread: Rear arm length
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Jerm13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
I think we are talking about different things, Motion Ratio is the ratio between arm length and shock mounting hole, you can have the same MR between a short and long arm.
Rear width is regulated by IFMAR rules to be less than 310mm, they all are as wide as they can be as it helps cornering power. What you are talking about is wheel offset, doesn't change Motion Ratio but helps short arms retain working range.

Also want to add that short arms move roll center more than long arms when working, promoting a twitchy car. Here's a thread that is more in-depth.
I didn't even bring up motion ratio. That was you. Again, I was only taking about lengths. Shock mounting location, angle, size, shape blah blah blah is something totally different. And Wheel offset is another whole story as well.

So IFMAR say 310mm. Buggy A has a 250 mm arm, buggy B has a 200mm arm and buggy C has a 300mm arm. But all 3 have the same track width. How is this possible???? Its cause the mounting point of the rear arm, hub and carrier are different sizes. That's what I was saying. Nothing about shock mounting.

Now I did explain why one car's shocks shouldn't be used on another car. But again, it wasn't because of the mounting location, it was because of the internals...