R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Thanks GearBest! My A979 1/18 Vortex Monster Truck is looking good!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:43 AM
TIME MACHINE
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Thumbs up Thanks GearBest! My A979 1/18 Vortex Monster Truck is looking good!

Let me start with the basics.

Here is a direct link to the product:

http://goo.gl/n4s8XH

The package arrived pretty quickly via DHL. In fact, it arrived MUCH quicker than anything I have ever ordered from the HobbyKing international warehouse.

The package arrived in a sturdy cardboard box. Inside the product packaging was wrapped in a white protective barrier that was very nicely done. It would be very hard to have this product arrive damaged, they did a very good job preventing any mishaps.

The 1/18 Vortex truck was well packaged from the factory. It is a very nice presentation. The box is colorful and vibrant (if that matters to you)

Like a little kid at Christmas, I ripped into the box and threw the packaging across the room. Behold.....she is one pretty truck!

The first thing that I want to talk about is the radio. I was really surprised at how comfortable the radio feels in my hands. Do you see the red area around the grip? It is a rubberized texture that feels really good in my hands. For a small RTR truck, this radio feels really solid. In fact, I would venture to say that this radio feels better then quite a few better known brands. It has a nice look, and just enough adjustments for a little truck like this one.

The truck itself exceeds my expectations. I am thrilled with the quality, which I don't say often. The truck came with some pretty soft tires (no foams), oil filled shocks, brushed motor with cooling fins, 1100mah lipo battery and the wall charger. The only complaints that I have are that one shock was leaking in the box (very easy fix) and the wall charger is not compatible here in the USA. Other than that, I'm liking the truck!

Some closer shots.

So now comes the fun. In the next few days I will post a running video of the truck. I have a bunch of friends that run a small track with 1/16 and 1/18 vehicles. I am going to throw this Vortex right in with the mini e-revos and see how it does. I will be evaluating how durable the truck is, because that is the question that I am already getting from my buddies.

So far, I am amazed at the value of this little truck. For $52 (at the time of this write up) I am thrilled with the value here. I could buy a bunch of these and have parts for a lifetime Not only that, I must say that Robert is one cool guy. Immediately after the truck arrived, he sent me an email just asking if everything arrived safely and that I was happy with my order. Who else does that? The answer is no one! I love the fact that Robert takes the time to interact with us and keep us advised on all of the latest deals. Goodbye HobbyKing and goodbye Banggood!

Stay tuned because I am going to run this truck hard and see how it does!

Last edited by TIME MACHINE; 08-24-2015 at 06:11 PM.