R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated T5M Discussion
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Braxamus
I got my new truck Sat. and its all together Waiting on motor ESC and tires. As stated above I am going to be racing only, no bashing with it, is there any advantages, dis advantages to running the 4 gear over the 3 gear, or should I buy the 3 gear case and go that route for racing. I am going to be running the SMC 120A ESC and 8.5 motor combo.
Just got mine as well over the weekend and started the build. Will run a similar setup.

Everything I've heard and read about 3 vs 4 gear is that 3 gear makes the acceleration out of corners faster and changes the handling due to how the spinning motor affects weight transfer front to back and side to side. And I've only heard that the preference is 3 gear especially for med to high bite tracks and 4 gear maybe for very low bite. So it sounds like 3 gear mid motor is the future (for at least the next 10 years until things completely change again).

I don't have much time to experiment and test these days, so I'm starting with 3 gear and following the heard