R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - XB8 vs D815 vs A215 vs MP9
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 AM
shannow
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smelly62
We see this a lot on here, "I have had many top cars and just started with MP9, kicking myself for not making it my first car".
+1 Exactly my feeling since a month. I had the mbx7 and then the d815 and now a mp9 which I regret not having gone for that one in the first place.

D815 I had it for two races and 2 training:

At my first training one of the pin for the shock got lost for no reasons (the grub screw was well screwed about 1-2mm under the surface). I damaged the center diff spur and started drilling the fueltank with the stock clutchbell bearing having failed within the first 1/2 liter. One of the rear arm cover also got bent so badly I couldn't be fixed (even glued).

At my first race I snapped the front shock absorbers alloy support and split in half the top radio tray. But the worst this day was that I ran a qualifier without any air filter as the damn thing fell off during one of the crashes. It was supports only by a zip tie on the engine. Lesson learn't for the next race I made a plate fixed one the tank to hold the end of the filter.

Almost all the screws on the diff had to be replaced pretty soon at the plastic is so tough that even with good quality screws, a new spanner and lots of grease you will eat their head off. Many other screws are like this as well.
Shocks have to be rebuilt often and are no where near the ease of built as a mp9's.

So durability is relative I guess.

I personally hated the access to the front/rear diff as the hinge pins,which is a long screw, is holding the whole anti/squat/dive assembly in a sandwich instead of a trapped pin such as the mp9/mbx7.

The stock rear wing, unsuprisingly, was totaled before the end of the first race.

Other than that the car drove okay, I was better with it than the Mugen but less than the Kyosho. Removing the engine and the center diff was a pleasure on it I regret that and the steel skid plate at the rear but that's about it when I sold it.