R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Teufel Racing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raz14
Is there a trick to spacing the wheels out to the ends of the axles for more stability or steering? Seems like the position of the hex is dictated by the axle pin location for the wheel hex.

A wider hex would work, but I've only seen 5mm width hexes available for the RB6 so I think I'm missing something.

I think my RB6 has longer RB5 front axles on it for example, and the extra length isn't used.

Couple ways to do it, I'll go in two parts
Rear:
If using the stock dog bones and axle stubs, you have a few options depending on how much more width you want.
One is the .7mm wider hexes
http://www.losipartshouse.com/KYOUMW...youmw523gm.htm
Those will give you .7mm per side in width and simply replace the stock wheel hex. Super easy to do. Only down fall, is with some aftermarket wheels, you may have less threads to use the wheel nut on. A low profile serrated wheel nut will likely have to be used.
Next option is/are the longer 3 lined axle stubs.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/KYOUM5...youm510-02.htm
Those will give you 2mm more per side if you shim them out at the hub. Can use the stock wheel hex or the slightly wider one if you wish. Replaces the stock 2 line axle stub. Will need to use a single 2mm shim, 2-1mm shims, or some .5mm shims to get what you want. Not as simple as just swapping out wheel hexes, but you'll likely have the most adjustment and you shouldn't have to worry too much about the wheel nut. Main down side is that depending on how you have the rear pivot mount set (wide or narrow) you may need a shorter dog bone to set the correct plunge in the out drive (either from being too far in or out)
If not using the stock drive lines and using something like the MIP Pucks system,
You might be able to use a wider wheel hex like maybe an AE one (I'm not 100% positive here) or you'd need to use wheel spacer that goes between the hex and the wheel.
http://avidrc.com/product/5/accessor...cessories.html
I believe jConcepts also make something like those. Only down side that I can see is you might not have enough threads to use a stock wheel nut on. Again maybe a low profile serrated wheel nut needs to be used. Also would have to remember that you have those on when you swap wheels/tires so you don't get one stuck in the wheel and not know it. They should be real easy to use though.
That's pretty much it on the rear end.

Front:
You can also use the carbon wheel spacers mentioned above or the wider wheel hexes if you have the RB5 front hexes, which it sounds like you already do. Either of those will likely be the easiest to do it get what you want or need. If I remember correctly, the stock RB5 front hex setup is already wider than the stock RB6 stock setup by a couple mm's.
Now if you're using the stock RB6 front hex setup, then you'd have to either swap out to the RB5 front hex setup or figure out how to space out the stock RB6 hexes another mm per side. It can be done, Kevin King has done that I believe. I'm not sure what he did to do it though.

Hope that helps you out