R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 PM
WesRaven
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Schwarta
Just trying to setup my car, is it possible to use the inside holes on the steering arm? I tried mounting them there and I couldn't get the turnbuckles short enough to have even straight wheels and the steering also seemed to be knocking on the ffg rod when turning right?
I use the inside holes, and have run into both of these problems. As Mike pointed out, greasing the threads with black grease (Tuning Haus or AE works well) helps immensely when making adjustments. I also fully thread the turnbuckle into the end and out several times to loosen it up further. I do this to all links in the car.

To be able to have some toe-out shave about 1-2mm from the ball ends (I use P13-4) to allow shorter links. The holes are deep enough to not interfere with the ball cup. I'm assuming you are already using the AT14 (or Lunsford) short links, or else I would imagine it would be really far off.

Regarding the steering link; As Mike also pointed out, make sure you shim the ball in the steering-rack high enough to get over the drive shaft while full lock right. I also shave the bottom of that ball end on the bottom to give it more room between the drive shaft, and on the top to make sure it doesn't catch on the AM46 (shimming the steering-rack ball up too high can make you hit the AM46 depending on what ball ends you're using).

edit: One other thing; I still use the stock P40 because I have yet to find an aluminum horn that has the perfect dimensions the P40 has to get over the shaft, while staying under the AM46, and not sticking too far out from the servo so the angle to the rack is proper. So, if you're having issues with an aftermarket horn, try the stock one out to see if it helps any.

Last edited by WesRaven; 07-01-2015 at 03:40 PM.