R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 05:28 AM
anr211
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCRijder
Hi,
I've read through this entire thread and through more than half the 1700 page sct410 thread, but cannot find a way to determine battery weight to balance the car left to right. I hope someone can help.

I just got into RC for the first time, after drooling over it for my entire life. Decided to go all out and get a SCT410.3 with waterproof electronics (it rain a lot here)
I'm running a 4S setup, with an Orion R8 WP (110g), an Orion Neon 550 2400 (265g), an 80g servo and a 10g Rx, so my electronics are about 100g heavier than a Tekin Rx8/4300HD setup many of you run.

Now for the battery, the last components to buy. As it is 4s, I'm obviously not racing it in a competition (only against myself), so runtime or mAh is not critical either. I do would like to jump straight though. I tried several ways of weighing the car (don't have a 4 wheel scales setup), but the hysteresis in the shocks and tires, together with the inaccuracies make it next to impossible to get a consistent reproducible measurement. It seems that the mass of the battery spreads ¾ to ¼ over left and right, but can't even say so for sure. My measurements also seem to show I need a 700g battery to balance the truck, which seems a bit extreme. Hence my request for help:

How can I find the optimum mass of the battery? Or am I trying to solve a made up problem and is a 200g mass difference not noticeable during jumping? I really hope someone can help.
Cheers, RCRijder
It only takes a 320g battery to balance an rx8/4300 setup, so I can't see you needing more than 420g (and probably not even that much).

One quick and easy thing you can do without any special tools is load the battery compartment with the amount of weight you think you need and then pick up the truck with your pointer fingers hooked under the center of the front and rear shock towers. It should want to hang that way reasonably balanced, if it wants to fall it will fall to the heavier side.

You also might want to ask the eb48 guys, its layout is nearly identical to the sct410 and the electronics they run are the same weight as the ones you're looking at.