R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Can a CS-Drift-Ratio setup car, still be able to do High-Speed-Grip driving?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Jah2000
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Can a CS-Drift-Ratio setup car, still be able to do High-Speed-Grip driving?

I like to do both drift and also high-speed grip driving. But, I'm on a budget and can only afford, and prefer, 1 car.

In the future (after I get much better at 50/50 drift), I'd like to experiment with CS drive ratios for drift. Maybe a CS ratio of around 1.7 (70%) to 2.5 (150%).

I was wondering if it is still possible to do high speed grip driving/racing with CS ratios/setups?? (1.7:1 - 2.5:1), by slapping on some sticky slicks and doing some quick adjustments/alignments (for grip racing).

I know there are RWD grip race cars out there (like Tamiya's F1/Indy/GT cars). So, wouldn't this be possible with some slicks and grip-spec alignment settings?

I'm sure changing all the gears(from a CS'ed setup) back to 50/50, would probably be the best and most ideal to make it grip-worthy again..but that would be a Big hassle and a lot of work/time, just to switch back-and-forth between the 2 driving-styles occasionally. But, Slick tire and alignment changes are realistic, quick and actually feasible though.

What do you think? How will a CS setup car (1.7-2.2 CS ratio) with slick tires and grip alignment settings react for racing and high-speed grip driving?

Will it be out of control, way too much oversteer and twitchy, and uncontrollable?

It can't be That bad, can it?

I mean...there's still RWD F1/GP/GT/Indy cars being used for high-speed grip... right?

Anyone here with a rear-bias drive-ratio (similar to that of CS ratios), using it for high-speed grip racing/driving??? Is this common, or uncommon?