R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T's Kyosho GT2 project - 56 mm motor
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 AM
Dr_T
Tech Addict

Got some good news and some bad news... The good news is I finally finished the wings and body, and I think it looks pretty good. So on that note... Batmobile's finally finished . Front wing seems to work good so far, have to do some more driving to know more.

However... the bad news is: Thejc was right with his concerns about the Turnigy 5682 motor quality... I cremated it already... . I guess when Hobbyking is blowing off stuff for peanuts, there's probably a very good reason for it. In all fairness though, the motor was only rated for 106A, so I guess it was to be expected. I thought I could get away with it with some good cooling, but the winding resistance appears just to be too high, causing them to heat up too quickly. On a positive note, it means I'll be looking for a nice replacement motor. Have to check out the options a bit. More on that later.

Also tried the new GRP slicks, and as Lizard already mentioned in his 1717 Slash thread at RCM, they're less grippy than the originals... The rubber already feels less sticky and it seems they wear down differently too, the slicks appear to stay smoother (pic below is both S5 compound, used on same surface, same conditions). A bit bummed GRP doesn't mention differences in compounds in their specs. I emailed them last week about it to check, but no reply yet.