R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 07:11 PM
timannnn6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
Hudy spring steel my foot. Its more like hudy snap steel. Two race night in my buddies back yard he broke two front drive shaft and i snapped a front center drive shaft. All where the barrel goes in . Our set ups are similar and we have preventitive set ups as not to break drive shaft and outdrives. With inner shock and outter limiters as well as pills to the outside position. There in back order for a reason cause they are weak . And not cheap either. Snap one of each and maybe a shock shaft and you may as well just buy a brand new kit. Im going specR shafts this time . At least you get 2 shafts axles and barrel"which have been on back order for months. Love the car but getting bitter buying snap steel all the time.
I will reluctantly have to agree. This is my first Xray and I have to say I am very disappointed with the quality of the metals. I have had two steel pinions go bad. There are no shims included so I built according to manual. Running slipper with .5mm gap like instructed in manual. Car drives incredible. Started to hear a grinding sound from rear so pulled apart and chunks of gear were inside gearbox. Checked front as well and found pieces broken off but not as severe. You can see that the metal used is very cheap, almost pot metal like. This is after running only 15 packs on a brand new kit.

I have also broken two front driveshafts, one left one right, without hitting anything. Both snapped around barrel. The material is very thin in this area.

Also noticed that these parts are very difficult to find and are out of stock on most sites. Tells you something. Then the fact that it's $25 a pop for a single shaft is kind of a slap in the face when the quality is sub-par.

I'm sure I'll get the "mine have lasted years and years without one break" but I know what I know...not some hack driver but qualify right up there with the pros.

i've broken no other parts so to have the metals breaking under normal conditions is a huge let down.