R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Trips
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

darnold,

Interesting theories, and I'm certainly not qualified to say with any certainty that you're right or wrong.

I've always considered the entire rear pod, axle, diff, motor, etc. as unsprung weight in a 1/12 scale car... When I was hevily into 1/12 scale years ago, I was looking at ways to develop a chassis that retained the solid axle required for rules compliance, but would float the axle separately from the motor, so the mass of the motor would become sprung weight. I've always felt that there is an optimum sprung/unsprung weight ratio for any circumstance, and Iv'e always felt that 1/12 scale designs are biased way too much toward unsprung weight due to the rear pod design.

Looks like I'll be getting back into the 1/12 scale fray this year, a new carpet track has opened in the area, 106*50 ft and it's billiard table smooth... I've always wanted to run 1/12 on a big fast track, now that there's one close by I can't let the opportunity pass. I'm guessing I'll go with either the Trinity or Corally SP12M car. The only 1/12 chassis I have on hand right now are an old all metal SP12, and an even older Delta Super Spyder. I'd never run the Delta, but I might briefly resurrect the old Corally... It'd be interesting to see how it would fare against today's cars.

Trips