R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Hayling
Tech Initiate

I decided to build this kit over the weekend so I could tool around with a proper drift car on some smooth asphalt around my house. I like my other two front motor cars, and am looking forward to adding some CS into the equation. Never driven one!

I see a lot of fairly agreed upon upgrades from box stock, but I'm just looking to get it to a point where it's fun and suitable for the surface I'm running on. Is the stock setup that horrible? Less stuff I have to buy the better (unless I love drifting, then I'll cross that bridge.) Got plenty of springs, shock weight oils, and shims laying around.

What is the most basic, essential, setup from stock for pretty rough (compared to carpet and concrete) surfaces? The asphalt is very smooth, but not track-grade.

I see how a front one-way would really change the dynamics, but it seems that the stock CS ratio is not ideal either. I like a challenge, so I'm not looking to make this a ton "easier" to drive since it's for fun anyways.

If it really is horrible stock, then can it be mitigated by setup? I plan on using tamiya yellow springs up front and something soft in the rear. Beyond that and the one-way, I'm not sure what I should plan on ordering to get it to a point where it's fun for my purposes, which will not involve any tracks, clubs, racing, etc. Just something that won't be too frustrating, since it sounds like the stock ratio was a poor engineering choice, as well as how the belts tension (from what I can tell skimming over this thread.)

Do I even need the front one way? It would be nice to have this thing running in a few days, but I did not foresee all the potential problems with the kit that the community brings up, and prefer not to tear down things right after I build them just to get a few packs in waiting on parts.

Thanks for any suggestions.