R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Casper
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
Not to bring up a sore subject or anything, but...
Gil Losi himself was in charge of "Kyosho America" regarding product quality control and R&D from what I understand. If that is in fact still the case, then it's sort of ironic that one would use Kyosho parts on a Losi vehicle.
Gil worked for Kyosho for a short period of time and no longer does. Although it would have been great to see Gil have more input at Kyosho I really do not think he had much impact on the Kyosho line of cars due to many factors that were really out of his control. As a result he moved on and help create AKA tires and has moved on since then

As for chassis protectors. As with anything there are lots of choices out there and some are better than others. I run them when I got outdoors blue groove or sugar type tracks as those really chew up stuff but in general I don't feel they are needed for more typical indoor clay track. If you do run one on a SCTE make sure the protector goes all they way up the bumper.

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
Thinking about the Kyosho post earlier made me question myself.

WHAT TRUCK AM I RACING?

I started with Kyosho in the late 80s, yeah I'm and old kid. Right from the beginning I used Tamiya and Yokomo light wt hardware and tires that worked on the local tracks in Japan. Even the Tamiya Gold Motor made its way among trinity motors used to win frequently.

I'm a tinkering motor head and just like my full size Trucks, the mods are parts from any thing that looks good, works better, last longer, weighs less, runs faster and sometimes cost less. Can't remember last time that cost less one worked out for me.

All these different parts really blur the lines of what car or truck I'm racing, but we all do that with upgrades that often come from several manufacturers. The Kyosho shocks on my X-Factory buggy, which is already a mix of it's own, is a good example. Those K shocks are still near or at the top as the best ever made.

On to the SCTE. What Truck am I racing???? It has parts/products from TLR/Losi, MIP, Tekin, Hobby Wing, Airtronics, Bearings from all makes, Vision Racing, ByPass one, Pro Line, AKA, Kyosho, Traxxas, CEN, Tamiya, Parma, GOOP, Gorilla, SMC, Orion, Tekno, Robinson Racing, XRAY, Much More Racing, 3 Racing, Ofna, Radio Shack, JConcepts, Deans, ProTek, and Parma. I know there must be a few more, but thats all I could think of without going to the workshop.

I'm sure most of you that have been in the hobby a while can make a list like this for your Truck. After a while the lines get so blured about what Truck I'm racing that I program it on my radio as MIP, Losi 1, SCTE, TLR 2.0, BCE 1, SNR, Pro8 or Jammin.

So, even though I might call my Truck a Losi or TLR 2.0 or just 2.0 when bench racing. About the only stock parts still used no matter what config it is today are gear boxes, diff housings, Gears, Out drives, a arms, shock towers bumpers and body mounts. Wow, I should have started with the few Losi parts and skipped buying the kit Something to think about.

One of the great things about this hobby is we have aftermarket companies that give us choices to customize our cars/trucks. It is up to the consumer to determine if an upgrade is wanted or needed however few change the geometry and drive line (significantly) which is typically set from the OEM and IMO that determines what you call the car. different chassis stiffeners or alum drive line does not make it an MIP truck... Anyway it is always fun to tinker with the trucks to make them look better or go faster.

Someone else was asking about tools.
nuts are 5-40 and us a 1/4 nut driver.
Most screws use a 2mm (5/64). You will also want a 3/32, 1/16, .050 but those are used less.