R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Socket
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1mrdad
I currently race a 17.5 blinky B5RM. I race strictly 17.5 on an indoor 125x65 med - high bite clay track. I am an average driver at best, but my lap times have dropped over 2 sec/lap in the last 6 months because of a combination of switching to the B5RM from a B4, switching to a Tekin RS Gen2, and then the biggest improvement came from switching to a Futaba 4PKS-R from a 3PM-X. I was going to buy a B5M lite as the next logical step. One of the hot multi sponsored young drivers had driven my car at practice a few times. He raced Sunday in stock buggy with his brother's maxed out mid motor buggy. His lap times were the same with the mid-motor as with my rear motor. Will the B5M lite be a waste of money? I hate to invest the $ and time getting it set up if I won't see an improvement in lap times and more importantly to me, consistency.
If you're happy - stick with it.

The mid motor car for you will be slower. It won't get off the corner as hard, and it'll be difficult to drive at first. You'll get frustrated, but if you stick with it, you'll go faster. Most get frustrated before they learn to drive a mid motor and sell it.

Even outdoors on medium grip a mid motor car is easier to drive fast. You just need to relearn how to drive. The corner speed is insane.