R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:18 PM
chris moore
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by AZDemille
The new on road track at SRS is a lightly etched concrete surface.It is mostly covered and contained but the ceiling is mesh so there will be normal dust coming in. We are looking for proven methods to get the traction up. They first tried blowing off the dust and applying VHT. But the VHT tended to ball up on tires. And of coarse VHT is expensive. They are now trying to build up a thick base layer of soda. The first application did not provide enough traction. The plan is to try and build up this layer this week then blow and apply a fresh top cote on race night. Does anyone have suggestions to get the grip up on this type of surface?

Back when SRS announced this plan one of the racers asked on this forum if anyone had run on a concrete surface successfully before and what was done to make the surface usable. The only suggestion that I remember from that thread was the use of paint mixed with play sand to provide some texture to the surface. I did not look for that thread nor do I remember if there was a suggested type of paint or mixture ratio, but perhaps someone that reads this thread may know.

Anyway while I do have doubts about this surface I wish best of luck to you in finding something that works.