R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to Get Traction Out of Smooth Concrete Surface.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM
AZDemille
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
This may not be what you want to hear....but here goes. Traction is NOT the only issue that needs attention, as I've stated in a previous posting.

The track is too short for 1/10 touring cars and GT cars, you can run Tamiya minis on it and maybe VTA. I was very surprised to see how short the straight is and how poor the visibility is from the north end of the drivers stand while negotiating the north end portion of the track......and I know I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Solution to the issues at hand:
Go out front and paint a nice big layout in the parking lot where viability is unhampered by 18-24 inch wide support beams covered with decorative bricks. Run the straights in a north / south direction to take advantage of the parking lot. Traction can be improved greatly using a blower and grape soda. Then you'll have a track that will draw in every TC driver within 50 miles.

Until I see a bigger layout it's not worth my time to drive the 40+ miles from east Mesa, make numerous changes to 2 cars to accommodate the small track only to have to change everything back for the Gilbert Hobby Town races on Saturday.

I do like the basic layout of the track but to me it needs to be a lot bigger, and a lot more accommodating for spectators. As it is I don't see much room for people to watch the races. IMHO

...and just to be fair, I think Hobby Town Gilbert could stretch their layout a bit for it to be a faster track, unfortunately some of the parking lot barriers are preventing us from enlarging the racing surface.....but at least we have traction and an unobstructed view of the entire track.
Thanks for your commentary but it was not solicited. This forum was created for a specific question. How to get grip on concrete? If you have off topic opinions about a facility feel free to post them elsewhere.

For those that have provided suggestions thank you. This surface is a little different and any out of the box ideas are appreciated.