R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 06:51 AM
Maximo
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adam-sweety
Hi Guys,

We have had a number of issues relating to the conrods in our reds motors.

I have 3 motors, 5TE, R7 and R5R. I ran in my 5TE and snapped a conrod after 4 litres of full. I then purchased an R7 ran the motor in and after around 2 liters, replaced the conrod, just to be safe. After around 12 odd liters, it snapped again, luckily not damaging the piston and sleeve. A friend at the track also managed to snap a rod on same day on his R5R almost identical to my picture. I have yet to run in my R5R but I'm concerned we are doing something very wrong. I have also purchased a new piston and sleeve for my team edition and also run that in again. I will change the rod now the run in is complete.

For the run in procedure, I pre-heat, and idle one tank.

Then I run a full bottle through the motor keeping temps around 90 degs. Doing figures of 8s with very smooth throttle inputs (no more then 1/4 to 1/2 throttle). Once done, I park the car, piston at BDC and let it cool.

I then re-heat the motor and run another bottle through it. This time on the track. I give small smooth throttle inputs with slightly longer burst as the fuel bottle begins to empty. Still keeping temps around 90 degs. You can hear and see the motor wants to be released. I don't lean out the motor after the break in period. I run slightly rich afterwards but the motor feels good with lots of power. I slowly bring the motor into race tune over a number of tanks.

During races I keep the motor around 110 to 120 degs and no more. We only really run the P3 plug with nitrolux fuel. I have not had any issues with my motors, no flame outs, constant tune, steady idle etc... only issue is the rods keep snapping.

I don't pre-heat my motor after run in. I hear two opinions on the matter. The mechanical pinch is already gone on the motor.
Can anyone give us some advise because I have not had these issues with my previous novas, os and alpha motors.

Thanks in advance.
you spun the rod bushing...what brand of fuel do you use ?