R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - VBC WILDFIRE D07
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Yokomo_Ant3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
I started the build yesterday, with the rear diff and spool.

This is an engineer's car... there are many tricks in the diff design. The super smooth rings, the notch to ensure you put it at the right place, the thick "plastified" gasket, and the icing on the cake the extra holes on the gasket so it doesn't rotate with the assembly. That is totally brilliant, I can't believe it hasn't been done before! The bd7 has notches in the paper gasket but it sure isn't as practical. On the downside, the mold flashings on the satellites at the injection point (crap, that makes me remember i didn't check the planetaries...) are shocking and must be sanded out carefully. Diff feels fine once built but will still be better after a few packs of break-in

I cannot say I like the spool as much though. CA'ing the flange? C'mon... I thought the 21st century started 15 yrs ago. Of course I did a mess with the CA. CA is for tires, damnit... Composite outdrives, I have mixed emotions too, plus you can't check the wear visually as its. Does anyone know of aftermarket (or other brand) alloy outdrives that fit?

Next are shocks... I've only heard good things about them, I was told they are Roche shocks actually, is this the case? Can't wait!

Paul
Hi Paul,

I use these aftermarket parts for the spool:

7075 Aluminum Spool Shaft B-02-VBC-0094
Lightweight Hardened Spool Outdrive A-03-VBC-0106

For shocks, I use .2mm shim for piston.

Antoni