R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Youth RC Initiative, a low-cost class for young drivers - Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:12 PM
bd581
Tech Addict

As a "cheap" class and as a in theory fair class, our club runs 13T hobbywing systems and a 6.5FDR.
Can run any chassis you want, any tyres, body etc.
At the speed they run they are slow enough for anyone to pick up, but fast enough to be fun for more the experienced. We have a age range from under 10's up to over 70's in the class, even a teenager who sufferes from muscular dystrophy.

Like everything, the fast guys are still much faster, you'll never do anything about that.
But the actual speed differences in the cars between cheap Tamiya cars to top of the range race cars isn't that much (with the same driver) though it's much easier to be consistent with a better chassis.

What really needs to be done is more help from the experienced guys.
Normally a basic club day I'd run 3 cars sometimes 4 just to help with the numbers in each class.
Last weekend I only wanted to run 1 class. There were 2 new kids, never raced before, so naturally, they were having a few problems.
I had more fun quicky fixing their cars during a race to get them back on the track, setting their cars up between races, showing them what line they should take, just all the stuff I wish someone did for me when I started.
It was more satisfying at the end of the day seeing how much fun they were having and their lap time improvements than it was actually racing.