R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 PM
snuvet75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1
MM moves the motor toward center and therefore more centered weight distribution. more consistent steering.The motor hanging off the back gives better rear traction at the expense of taking weight off the steering end. It all depends on the track compound on what is the best way to go. I drive RM, but I can see where MM gives a more balanced feel to the driver...if you can get a handle on the lose of rear traction.
Thanks. But with my logic, heavier side gets less traction. So I just don't get the explanation that having the motor in the rear gives more rear traction. For example, if you move both the front and rear wheels forward keeping the same wheelbase, the rear becomes heavier and the car gets more steering meaning less traction in the rear.
With that said, if I compare ONLY the weight distribution between MM and RM, MM gets more rear traction than RM due to the lighter rear weight meaning MM may understeer. Again this is only hypothetical on the condition that everything else is same between RM and MM. But I see there's quite a difference between RM and MM's configurations. Whatever advantage/disadvantage each car has, I'm pretty sure the Serpent engineers compensated it by making a few changes between them.
I just don't see the huge advantage of MM setup so far and thought it might be trickier(less/more responsive to setup changes) to set up than traditional RM design. and I was hoping somebody would fill me in. Thanks guys.