R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo YZ-2
Thread: Yokomo YZ-2
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 04:16 PM
mojo tom
Tech Adept

I wouldn't call a gear diff lower maintenance for 1/10th 2wd than a ball diff.

Just buy a set of grounded diff plates, Bfast or TKO come to mind, some good carbide diffs balls and ceramic thrust balls (personal choice).
Use good grease, with the proper amount.
A good break up and a careful first run and you will have a great smooth diff for months. I would have to at least refill a gear diff way before that.

I still prefer a ball diff for 2wd, maybe a bit less flashy on the track but more stable. Lots of people talk about tires and setups but a good well setup diff is for me the first thing to watch for on a 2wd.
For training I keep the gear diff as wear is almost null.

Carbide balls favor a loose setting, low to medium grip. If tightens too much it will become gritty pretty fast.
If I have to run on high to very high grip I would use ceramic diff balls. Such diff need to be tighten quite a bit to stop slipping but will be smooth for a while at that setting, you will go through diff plate as they will wear more quickly.
I like a gear diff on high grip.

4wd is another story, maintaining 2 balls diffs In good shape is a hard task and I find those less sensible than 2wd to gear diffs diffing out.

I got issues with ball diffs until I tried grounded perfectly flat diff rings and good balls. Night and day.