R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Data loggers.
Thread: Data loggers.
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 03:13 PM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is a quote from the Novak Sentry thread...I think this guy works for one of the full scale manufacturers....

Originally Posted by Fred_B
The problem is that most people will get lost in data that's at a high rate.

I actually ran data on a sedan at 200Hz back in the day and it's barely fast enough to capture suspension movement. Yes, it "looks" like the full sized data that you would get from a normal race logger but we need a much higher frequency to capture meaningful data. Plus you're limited on the number of laps that will fit into excel and graph the result.

In the end the high frequency data acquisition was just an expensive way to prove out why a sedan double steers. It only confirmed our gut feel for what was happening.
Originally Posted by Fred_B
If you want high sample rates it's going to take a much larger commercially available logger (like a Pace Scientific). You'll have to adapt your own sensors to it but it will go to a fairly high sample rate. It's likely that most would get lost in the data.

Also, the data from an RC car isn't going to look anything like the data you would see on a full sized car due to the scale. 100 Hz data would look like a big rats nest when you dump it into Excel. You'd end up having to go corner by corner and it would take more time than it's worth.

Being able to compare changes on the track for gearing and battery changes is probably the most useful part of the system.

I do wish they would have included a ring type hall sensor for current (Amp-sense for instance) but the set-up they have isn't all that bad.