R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 AM
sakadachi
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Lipo fires may not happen that often, not sure the actual stats. However I have seen at least 3 cases of lipos catching fire in the past year alone. 2 were at a club event. I've also had a lipo or two "puff" up on me and seen several that have sparked. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is a nasty fire that seems to have endless fuel.

What I've noticed in several cases is that usually both a positive and negative wire is exposed which creates a spark and in turn a fire. This is usually because the heatshrink tubing around the wires has worn or didn't cover the exposed wires completely. Also I think some batteries can over-deplete (this is usually regulated by the ESC), -but I think in the fires I saw the ESC failing could have been the culprit as well?

------
With all of that said, I believe that if you follow a few simple rules lipos can be safe and you can be prepared should they catch fire.

Here is what i do and recommend:
1)Store lipos in a lipo safe bag when not in use (do not keep them in your car or wired to the car's esc)
2)When charging be sure you are home, you don't have to sit and stare at the batteries, but you really shouldn't leave the house. Should a lipo malfunction while charging you'll want to be home.
3)If your lipo battery puffs up (the case actually puffs up) do not continue to use the battery, -it's not worth the risk. There are methods to de-activiate a lipo that has gone bad, but I have brought mine to the recycle center by our house.
4) if you notice your lipo battery case is damaged in any way, i'd stop using it.

I do feel lipos are the way to go, they pack a lot of punch for less weight than traditional RC batteries. I also think they can be safe as long as you take precautions.
Thanks for the insight eR1c!

I guess with anything precautions go a long way. It's not as though charging old school NiCd's is 100% safe either. I do stay around the vicinity while charging, and touch the batteries from time to time ensuring that they aren't getting hot.