R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Settle something for me regarding the condition of a car?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Micah78
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ccattie
One wheel is ribbed, the other is spiked. I agree there isn't a huge about wrong, but I'm worried about other issues when you omit something so big. Did he really break in the engine or was he mashing the throttle the second he filed up? I've already found a bearing is missing in the back. It wasn't clean either. None of this screams "very good condition"
-c
I do think it sucks to sell an Rc with 2 different tires on it but it's not that big a deal if it works. Worrying about other stuff that may or may not be wrong is pointless. Just run it and if it breaks it breaks. There isn't anything that can't be fixed. That's the risk you take buying used stuff. Don't ever assume that a nitro engine is good. I don't care how many "tanks" of fuel have been run through it, wether or not It was broke in properly ect... Nitro engines can be ruined very easily and are usually throw away. Even with a good tune/care they wear out pretty quickly. I love running nitro, but realize it takes time and practice to get good at tuning. While your practicing you will ruin a few. My point is, with nitro you don't know what the previous owner did. The engine may start, but that doesn't mean it isn't screwed up. Electric on the other hand is a bit easier. Electric either works, or it doesn't. When I buy a used nitro vehicle, I automatically assume I'm buying a new engine for it. I take that into consideration when negotiating a price. If the used engine that it comes with happens to work, it's a bonus.