R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Durango DEX210 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 AM
RC10Nick
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laker67
So ok guys, with all the new talk of the 3 gear and the 4 gear Mid motor stuff Im curious to know a quick this is what it does between the two. I run on a high bite clay track with slicks and then another Med-High Bite clay track with treads. If I go 3 gear for my local high bite track am I going to need to switch back to 4 gear for the other. What is the benefit of one vs the other? I hear the 3 gear keeps the car flatter in the corners and makes it easier to drive? But what about on power traction? I don't think the 3 gear gets the power down the same way does it? Any help in clarifying this is appreciated, Thanks!
In short, mm4 generates more rear grip, but you will push on power quite a lot.

mm3 generates less rear grip, but will have a much more neutral/predictable feel while driving.

To really make mm3 work, you have to get as much weight over the rears as possible. I have my car setup with a 30g rf toe block and a custom chassis that I can run a side by side saddles or a sideways shorty. This gets more weight onto the rear without having to add extra weight. My car has plenty of rear grip, and the neutral driving characteristics of the three gear make the car very forgiving to drive. It makes me look a lot better than I really am!