R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 AM
IndyRC_Racer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I wanted to share my motor experience from racing the past few weeks.

Last week another racer felt his Ballistic motor was slow. We suspected that he had really over-heated the motor and may have hurt the performance. We swapped motors and his lap times improved.

This week I took his motor and installed a replacement Novak rotor. Luckily the rotor was on sale at the local hobby store & I had a coupon, which meant it cost less than $20. The motor ran great and I was able to turn the fastest lap in qualifying and the main (running a TC4).

The one thing I've noticed is that regardless of the motor I've tried with my current setup, the lap times on my car have been fairly close. I've kept the FDR the same when switching and the only difference has been motor temp. I probably need to fine tune the timing and/or gearing for a specific motor.

----------

One final thought, I have rarely seen anyone getting blown away down the straights in VTA. When it does happen, it is usually an issue with the slower car (bad gearing, bad setup, excessive wheel slip out of corners, slipping diffs, etc).