R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NOVAROSSI Engine thread....
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 AM
scrapsz
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi b
I've just recently come back to nitro and I have a question about glow plugs. I broke in my P5 with the plug that came with it, then I ran it for 1 practice day with the supplied plug. After talking with the lhs guys, they recommended that I switch to the plug one step colder because of our current cold temperatures which are between 40 and 60 degrees. I've changed to a Novarossi #5 plug. My 1st question is, what direction will the tune of my motor go? ie, will I be leaning or richening it? My 2nd question is, at what ambient temperature should I go to the #6 plug?
I've raced the #6 plug when ambient air temps were in the 20's through the 90's F and my engines ran fine. My rule of thumb is to run the engine on the #6 turbo plug, if it runs good...stick with it. Obviously there are other factors than air temp such as humidity, altitude, etc. That said, in the past 4 years racing Novarossi engines I changed plug type once...it was in the high 90's with extreme humidity. As per the chart, you would run the colder #7 plug...completely the opposite, the extreme moisture required a hotter plug and the #5 was money.

The temp range for the #6 as per the Nova chart is roughly 50-80F. As for the tune, again there are other variables so my rule of thumb if you change plug temp is run it with existing needle settings...then tune from the engines look, feel, sound, etc. But to answer your direct question, if anything you may have to richen when going to the hotter plug.

Hope this helps...best of luck with your new P5.