R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho FW-05R
Thread: Kyosho FW-05R
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 08:06 AM
NiMo
Tech Master

Originally posted by Clegg
just noticed that Kyosho lists the FW-05R as discontinued already

I also just ordered the 3R chassis. my logic is, if its cheap and flimsy and sucks I can just get the Shimo one later. 32$ is nothing in this hobby and if it works fine, then coo, I saved 40$.

I just did the math, with my 3 orders of parts from HK, the total for this car is CHEAPER still than what a new RR costs. I got my 05R for 140$ w/o engine. It was used for an entire season. Now I have done the RR upgrade, replaced a fair bit of the driveline, replaced most of the screws (most with Stainless Steel, some with Ti) , went with the Al servo mounts (because the plastic ones were MISSING with this car!), and a CF rear shock tower.

Total so far is like 350$ if you count the 140$ and the 190 in other parts I have purchased for the car. A bit less than the $385 price for the RR kit and has many upgrades the RR doesnt have (such as CV's on the front and rear, the hardened gears, etc..)

So now I have another question to the 05R tuners of the world. My car is going to have a pretty steep ratio. 7.28 in first and 5.52 in second, I am going to be running an OS .12TR 5P Turbo plant. Any recommendations on clutch shoe to use? the course will be pretty technical and I would like something to give a smooth but solid engagement at a higher RPM (to keep torque up in the power band when bliping the throttle around a tight corner). is the Grey the prefered shoe for that kind of engagement?
You will still get all the FW05R parts as they are now used on the 05S and 05T.
Black clutch is standard
Grey is softer than Black
Red is Sharper than Black