R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Casper
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickTheGreek
Quick question......

I built the kit as shown in the manual....Basically going by all the pictures..
Everything went together great...The rear diff housing was a bit of a pain to line up n close,especially after I greased the gears....
Anyway...After everything went together I went back n noticed how it says something about shimming the rear diff for a better mesh. (Not shown in diagrams)
How are you exactly supposed to shim it???(I don't quite understand the discription in the manual) ....And if I leave it as is, will I have issues??

I don't get why they just didn't add that in the pictures and steps of the rear diff build.
I typically see about two shims to move the diff closer to the pinon. You may not run into issues right away but it is usually a good thing to be on the safer side and check it. Basically you want to shim the diff until it is tight against the pinion and then take away a shim. The rear diff takes a bit more abuse than the front diff due to weight transfer under acceleration and it is possible to strip the rear ring and pinion over time. It is quite unlikely it will happen right away if you do not go fix it but as the parts break in over time it may cause a problem.