R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S
Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 AM
0verkill
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dr_T
Nice man, one fast mini - afaik the fastest documented mini 8ight? What's the temps on the battery and motor? Wondering if it's really topping out, based on the kv and gearing you should see higher speeds if the batteries and motor can pull it (and car doesn't go take-off ), no?
The motor was barely warm and I didn't check the battery. As far as going faster..

Ride height
It's already lower that stock from the small diameter tires. I actually tried lowering it further and it did not work at all because the chassis was scraping every little thing on the road.

Gearing
A 40T pinion gear might fit if you were to open those slots to the max.

Range
I'm using a basic transmitter and receiver. I higher range radio system would allow you to have more distance to stay wide open throttle for longer. Of course you may need binoculars to see this tiny little car from that far.

Wing
My wing is stock. I know if you open up the wing at 200 mph it makes a big difference in top speed. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes at 80 mph.

Originally Posted by targetingxmod
Nice speed!
And it's just a one pass? Or can you empty the batery with motor not in thermal shutdown temperatures?
I am wanting to know that... if on 35T 45T gearing that motor is extremelly hot with one pass, or with 5,10,15,20 minutes of doing that like on the video....

Just make sure to proof it in photos or in video that 80mph

I believe you achived it! Just like to see the proof!

That 35T is a Robinson Racing pinion?
I made passes back and forth for 20 minutes and the motor was barely warm. Yes, it's Robinson Racing. The spur gear is in perfect shape as well.

Originally Posted by lemonader83
No offense taken, people just seemed extremely doubtful. I will say it gets quite warm at low speeds but once I up the air flow it cools off pretty nicely.

So I just had an upgrade festival. I installed all the spindles and carriers from hot racing, all went on flawlessly. Put on the mini 8ight-t steering rack from exotek, not impressed. Doesn't work with the stock hardware and without that it's a balancing act of figuring out the right tightness without ruining the steering speed. All in all, stock is better. Bummer exotek.... I also installed the gpm motor mount, that went well, everything fits snug and it slides so much better than stock. Lastly, I added the hot racing merv spur and that seems to be good too, just had to put a spacer between the spur and the bearing.

Pics to come once I get things fit right, just wanted to send out a "beware" on the exotek piece, that was surprisingly bad from a company that's usually on point.
That's disappointing to hear about the Exotek steering rack. I should be receiving my GPM motor mount pretty soon, does the motor sit at the same exact height?