R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 PM
PutAwayWet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
I might as well pick your brain some more. What is the difference in handling (if there is any) when running side springs at inner or outer positions (on top of side links). Does this change the roll characteristics of chassis?

The inboard position is going to feel softer, as there is effectively a longer lever working on the spring. Also, the inboard position brings a degree of progressive rate into the equation--as compared to the outboard position. So, a 4# spring outboard will feel stiffer than the same spring inboard. Which will generally translate into more steering.

Also, when it comes to setting up the damper tubes. I've been told, the thicker the tube lube the more rear traction, thinner the more steering.

I would say you have this reversed. Thicker lube will tend to keep weight transfered forward as compared to thinner. More steering. You can decide whether you think thicker lube results in a tick less turn in. I will hazard that most feel thicker lube results in more overall steering, and conversely, thinner more rear traction.

So, do damper tubes effect the rear pod or the main chassis?

I don't know how to describe this properly, please forgive me...They way I think of it is, the rear pod as a whole is like a anchored weight (static weight?), but with a forward motion produced by the wheels. Therefore, it is the the main chassis (dynamic weight) which we are trying to tune against this anchored weight (rear pod), so when it comes to side tubes, central damper, ect, ect. All these changes affects the dynamics of the main chassis only and not the rear pod.

I think we all develop our own mental model of how these simple tricky little beasts work. And it evolves over time.

Does it sound right?