R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM
metalnut
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
It's not the camber gain that makes the car more reactive, it is the raising of the roll centre. A roll centre closer to the CofG allows the car to transition side to side faster. Camber gain is a bit of a mirage in 12th cars - look at the success SpeedMerchant have with their car on fixed camber with no gain.

The front suspension compresses maybe 1.5mm or 2mm at the most during roll. Move the front suspension that amount and look at the amount of camber that is gained - it is very (very!) small. The real affect on transition is that the shorter wishbone effectively raises the outer pivot and that in turn raises the roll centre.

I recently went back to kit set-up at the front with one washer inside on the front axle and the car flicks easily left to right, turns in and rotates well and is much more responsive to drive. Give it a try...!
I think I remember reading something along those lines a while back, thanks for the explanation. At this point in time the car needs something to make it come alive, so I can give all these ideas a shot. It's a bit weird because my buddy is running the same car with an almost identical setup, and his apparently carves corners. I'll have to swap with him and see... maybe it's just my driving "style" (and I use that term loosely) that's the problem.