R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 01:40 PM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by metalnut
I'm still running the 3 kit washers on the front. I didn't realize those could make a noticeable difference, that's something I can try too. And yes, I'm running 2mm washers under the castor blocks and the shorter top brace from the 12R5 kit. I do realize that slows camber gain and thus makes the car lazier, though I admit I haven't try to run it with kit setup. That's something I can try too.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys, stuff I should have thought about but didn't!
It's not the camber gain that makes the car more reactive, it is the raising of the roll centre. A roll centre closer to the CofG allows the car to transition side to side faster. Camber gain is a bit of a mirage in 12th cars - look at the success SpeedMerchant have with their car on fixed camber with no gain.

The front suspension compresses maybe 1.5mm or 2mm at the most during roll. Move the front suspension that amount and look at the amount of camber that is gained - it is very (very!) small. The real affect on transition is that the shorter wishbone effectively raises the outer pivot and that in turn raises the roll centre.

I recently went back to kit set-up at the front with one washer inside on the front axle and the car flicks easily left to right, turns in and rotates well and is much more responsive to drive. Give it a try...!