R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The good the bad and the ugly of the 13.5 motor
Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Matthew_Armeni
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13
I have been running a 10.5 for the past 3 years. I get asked why I don't run a 8.5 or lower like a lot of the others and my reply is" I don't need an 8.5 to do what I can do with a 10.5." Basicly, I am never on full throttle more than a second or 2 at the very most. And that is just on the long straight. I am not surching for a little more speed, don't need more torque, and have never needed to run boost ( but I am running 20* can timing). But that's just me. The tracks I run at are for the most part small enough I get away with a 10.5. Lap times are about 12-16 seconds. I guess I go to a track where the laps are in the 20's, I may re consider. But that is few and far between. And I don't have to worry about burning tires off
Originally Posted by joel45acp
I run blinky cuz I'm much faster than when I was running a 10.5T. I run a 13.5T blinky in my 4wheeler and run faster laps than most if not all, the mod guys. As some have mentioned before, it's not motor size that wins a race, it's consistency that wins over horsepower. that being said, I run Revtech Killshot motors with HT rotor and HT stator. great motors in my book.
Originally Posted by tc5 man
13.5 are more powerfull and more torque than a 17.5 so its somewhat stock of a motor. I don't get the point with stock classes still its always who has the better battery of the mouth or motor etc more $$ .

Keep it a open class everything like that seems to go away not to mention cheaper . Teaches more throttle control anyways.
Originally Posted by tc5 man
I can barely control a 10.5 especially on loose dirt or clay and can still make jumps fine . 8.5 motors if you can control them fine but not needed inless you are running on a big outdoor or indoor track.

You guys are just making too much sense. You mean to tell me that you can figure out on your own how much power you need and only use that much? I refuse to believe that an R/C racer could come to that determination on their own. I need strict rules that limit my power otherwise I would end up running a 3s 5.5 turn buggy straight into the wall, because as we all know, the fastest car on the straight undeniably wins the race.