R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Push Issue
Thread: Push Issue
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 AM
durtbag
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mitamiya
So I am finally making the change from a mostly scale builder to attempted racer. After reading some threads on this site, I decided to try USVTA.
Outfitted a Tamiya 418 with a spec VTA set-up (wheels/tires/J71 body/5000mah lipo) and put 2 mill in the rear diff and 40 in the front and rear shocks. The carpet track I plan to race on is medium grip.

Practice #1 - Car ran very well after the tires scrubbed in a little and was neutral in the corners. Using a 25.5 motor I actually could drive the car just fine and got a fair amount of laps in before I finally tried to go too fast and broke a C-hub. I spoke with a couple regulars at this track and they thought my car was riding too high and that I should try some traction compound next time.

Practice #2 - Adjusted the car's ride height to 5mm per USVTA rules and bought the tracks one legal tire sauce. The track owner said to put sauce on the whole rear tire and just the inside of the fronts. I did this. These were the only two changes I made. The car pushed something horrible, I really struggled in the infield section and it made driving it very difficult for me.

Question - Is this just the rear tires getting so much traction that they are overpowering the fronts? Should add traction sauce to the fronts and only coat a small amount to the rears? Should I add weight to the front of the car? I played with a couple things but nothing really helped. Looking for a few things to try and solve this.
Any help is appreciated.
i think the 2 mill i the rear diff isnt helping, that is what i would use in a front diff. 30-40 wt would work better in the rear with a spool or slipper in the front.