R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 05:28 AM
S.Stew
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Hi, I'm back in 1/12 after this long outdoor season. Just raced my 12R5.2 yesterday on a new track in Belgium (MRCC Charleroi) and we had a lot of fun.

I have a few "noob" questions

- what are the minimum and maximum tire diameters to drive in good conditions? is this range of dimensions different compared to a tire that will allow the best performances?
Very generally, Larger tires are better for low grip, smaller tires better for high grip. When grip is high, smaller tires can help prevent grip roll. For club racing, I start tires at 41mm Front, 42mm Rear. You could use them at a larger size, however larger tires tend to chunk easier so there isn't always value in running them big.

- is there a way to prevent the sides of the tire foam from being damaged?
Running them at a smaller diameter is the best way to prevent it. Otherwise you can use a thin coat of CA glue on the sidewall, but this will change how the tire works as the glue stiffens the sidewall.

- what are the minimal and maximal ride heights for front and rear?
I usually don't go any lower than 3.5mm front or rear and not higher than 4mm. If the track is really bumpy then maybe a bit higher - 4.5mm.

- what are the tires (compound) to always have in the box (indoor carpet)? local tracks are very tight in dimensions and I'm using magenta/pink jaco right now
This will depend on what class your running. For stock, Black/yellow or Black/Graylow seems to work just about everywhere. Lately we've been using Blue or Green rears and black/dbl blue/blue fronts depending on how much steering we need.

- what bodies do you recommend for small tracks? just need a strong one
The Protoform 12th scale bodies seem to hold up really well. I just started using the Strakka and it's a good bit more durable than what I was using.

many thanks!
My Answers/opinions in Red