Thread: ROAR Election
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 AM
CBear3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hey Adam, try thinking this through:

"Existing ROAR leadership sh*ts its Depends when it realizes the votes coming in for EA are going to crush them."

1) Nobody on the EXCOM knows how many votes Eric has/had garnered to the best of my knowledge. On-road is dwarfed by off-road participation, so who's to say that even a motivated on-road group could change the election.

Even if Eric won, why would the current leadership or supposed good ole boys club care? Those who voted on the matter are in appointed positions, but need a majority of votes on the ExCom to get them removed. If they were worried about their butts, they didn't have to be since it would take 4 votes to remove them. Even if Eric and Tim Potter were sympatico, they'd have to recruit two other ExCom members to effect change in the committee (Article VI, section L).

*Existing ROAR leadership starts scouring the bylaws looking for a reason to disqualify EA.
*After two failed attempts, they find a bylaw which can be interpreted either way, giving them the choice of allowing him to remain or disqualify him.

Article VII, Section B Says "Write in votes are considered nominations subject to the approval of the Executive Committee." So the Executive committee asks Eric to prove he meets the requirements. Eric takes offense to this apparently, as he's said several places this was their third attempt to get him DQ'ed. I guess doing their job makes them the enemy.

Existing ROAR leadership chooses to interpret the rule to save themselves rather than go with what the overwhelming majority of the community wants.

Again, a majority of the on-road community. The election isn't over, it's not the sure thing that people keep making it out to be. It's their job to make sure Eric meets the requirements. They're interpretation (and they're in these positions to make rules and interpretations for the hobby, and it's their job to write/amend these Bylaws, so it seems right up their alley) was that somebody needed to be a member for 365 continuous days before their election. Eric didn't meet that requirement.

I really wish people would quit with the wild conspiracy BS

That's not to say that just because they could do it, that they should have. Would the damage of letting Eric's candidacy (and possible presidency), even if he was afoul of the eligibility requirements, be more than the damage this decision has created? But then again ROAR has been lambasted for not following their rules, working in the margins, or being blind and not closing the barn door until all the horses are out. I don't blame them for being proactive and trying to get this "right" to a T. The fact that every ExCom member present was in agreement speaks to the universal interpretation of the rule (and I already illustrated how it doesn't save their butts).

I would be curious to see what Eric could do as President, and I'm disappointed we won't get that chance this election. I'm more disappointed that what the "community" looks like launching straight into character assassination and conspiracy theories before thinking the issue through.