R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TT02 Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 03:25 AM
Camocrouch
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjim85
Thanks for the advice camocrouch. I've decided to go for RC drifting. I only have the basic TT02 so what would I need to convert it to a drifter? Sorry if this has already been mentioned. It's a long thread!

Also, how short is the TT01 upper deck? I work in the composite industry so if I had the sizes I should be able to make one.

Cheers
No worries Jim.

I seup a TT-02 for drifting initially. If you already have the basic TT-02 what you need to first decide is how far you want to take it.
What I mean by this is you can spend what you paid on it in upgrades to make it drift better, but still be left with a chassis that does provide some basic limitations.
If that's what you enjoy then awesome - Go for it!

On the other hand you could invest in a few basic upgrades and get the hang of it / make sure you're into it, then upgrade the chassis to something more drift suitable (i've just finished an XV-01 which is a front motor belt driven chassis and even in stock form it seems to be a way better drifter than the TT-02 could ever be).

Basic upgrades i'd suggest trying are bearings, oil shocks, locked rear diff (or just jam blue-tac or something in the rear diff), suitable hard plastic tyres and a smaller pinion gear (perhaps 19 or 20 tooth) (if your kit came with the stock 22 tooth one) to give you a little more low down punch to start the slide.
Maybe a front one-way too just to see if that suits your driving style and a Tamiya 'black can' sport tuned motor for a little extra oompf without needing to change from the stock ESC.

Hopefully that shouldn't set you back too much (try the Broadtech website) and give you a decent setup to try out drifting.

From there, if you really want to get max performance, you can go all out on high angle steering systems, adjustable camber front and rear, toe-in rear uprights, counter steer gearing, motors, ESC's and a whole host of alloy bling.

I don't suppose you're in Australia are you? I have one for sale on eBay...

Anyway just go with what you'll enjoy and please feel free to ask questions.

The TT-01 top brace was about 5-10mm too short for the TT-02.

Cheers,
Crouch