R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - .18 Touring Car Racing
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Nostrixoxide
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by fastharry
This little quote is right off towers web site....

This is the O.S. Max .18 TZ Turbo Engine
and 11L Rotary Carburetor.
This Engine Does Not Include Any Warranty.

"Strange a warrenty card came in the box with my engine, I'll have to email OS about this to see what they have to say. As of now I do not see any warrenty info regardin the TZ on there website. Thank you for bringing to my attention".

here's the LIST price of my RB v12 piston and cyl...

1700-035 90.00 Piston and Sleeve Set-3 Port Rear Exhaust Engines (1 Piece

heres the tower hobbies DISCOUNTED price of a piston for the TZ

O.S. Cylinder & Piston Assembly .18TZ
Add to Wish List

"I solely do not rely strictly on Tower hobbies for all my RC needs".

79.99 Late Feb

BTW,the piston is in stock for the RB....out of stock for the OS..nice touch......

BTW,the OS is almost 3/4 of an inch TALLER...amd weighs about 15 grams more....just one more thing to upset the handling and balance.......which I've come to realize is more important than being the first one down the straight.........
"I was unaware of the height difference in the engines. I'm sure this does effect the CG. However when you are running a wider tire then 26mm any loss in the CG is regained. Also, whatever additional weight the OS is carrying is made up 10 fold with the additional power".

I appriciate your comments, but like I mentioned before I do not race any sanctioned events & I am unfamiliar with the rules except for the engine size restriction one. it's my understanding they are limited to .12 engines but will allow the use of a stock .15 engine if the vehicle was equipt with it from the factory. It is also my understanding that if you decide to replace the .15 engine with anything other then the stock unit you must purchase a ROAR legal .12 sized engine. I am totally out of tune with the racing community & some of this info I have written may be incorrect. I am only stating what I have heard and read about it.

I have heard nothing but good things about RB engines & would be more then willing to try one out when I before more familiar with nitro vehicles. But as of right now, I'm kinda stuck on the whole raw power kinda thing. I'm more into drag racing with my friends for braging rights if anything other then just testing my manhood

If anyone knows of a more powerful .18 then the OSTZ then please stop bogarding the information. I would love to get my hands on a small block engine that can produce 5hp if there is one on the market or should I say in existance. As of right now I'm kinda stuck with using what I can locate at my LHS or online.
Once I can learn to drive my car better in circles is when I will probably decide to buy a high dollar Italian plant. Personally I am fond of Collari engines. I'm sure there are tons of opinions about these engines, but I personally am impressed with the craftsmenship. I have alot of knowledge about machine work & metel polishing & highly respect the manufactures of high end products. But I do respect value & reliability, thats why at this stage in my nitro knowledge I decide to use the OS power plant in my vehicle. I figure once I can learn to give it a proper tune & figure out how to control the massive amount of power it supply's then I should have no problems controlling the vehicle with a less abrasive engine installed. Once again I ask anyone forgiveness if the info I have posted or any of the words I have used have offended anyone. I'm just like the next guy, always looking for more knowledgable people to learn from.

Last edited by Nostrixoxide; 02-03-2005 at 06:39 PM.