R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF419
Thread: Tamiya TRF419
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 AM
niznai
Tech Elite

Yeah, but you can only get by on looks so much.

People are lazy. They buy what everybody else runs because that's the easy way. Local support of course has its own weight to add and that's how you end up racing the car with the best distribution system on the ground. Xray has done their job quite well all over the world. There is hardly any shop on line worth its salt that doesn't carry Xray. You can buy them in Europe, Asia, America. The rest are good at the most at local distribution and Tamiya is expensive as poison outside SE Asia (even in Japan). This made a lot of distributors drop it. In Australia there isn't even an official importer. There is an Xray one though. And a Yokomo dealer (and Losi, and AE, and Team Durango, Schumacher, etc). In Europe I have spoken with a lot of shops that told me they just dropped Tamiya because it was too expensive. And so on.

The only place where you'd probably struggle to get an Xray is Japan, and that is because of its draconian import tax.

In Australia, you'll probably see the same situation, most people race whatever is supported locally, or cheap imports (thank god for Hong Kong). My own home track is dominated by Xray and Yokomo (in this order) plus some Schumacher cars. And yes, you guessed it, we have one Xray shop, one Yokomo and one Schumacher locally (plus many more interstate).