R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hpi Pro 4
Thread: Hpi Pro 4
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 03:08 AM
Merciless
Tech Master

Default Re: spur gear stripping and shimming the spur gear shaft?

Originally posted by yellow15
I've stripped my spur gear last weekend.. so i bought a new spur gear and installed it and took my car to the track again today.. and guess what? i strip the spur gear again after only 5 laps or so!!!???

Both time, only half the spur gear (approx 180degree) was stripped while the other half was almost perfect. I noticed that the shim on the spur gear shaft (don't know if it's the right name, but it's the metal shaft that the spur gear is attached to) was bent quite a bit...and one of the shim is sitting half way between the slot between the two bearings. Probably my fault that i didn't place the shims correctly when i put the gearbox back together after maintainence. Would this be the reason why i keep stripping half the spur gear? if not, what is it? i don't really want to keep buying more spur gears even they are not very expensive.
i was using the same spur gear (stock one) and pinion gear (64pitch 34 teeth) for quite a while with no problem until last weekend.

another thing, in the manual, it ask us to put 3 8x10x0.2mm washers between the two bearings on the spur gear shaft.. and i notice there is still quite a bit of play after that... so should i add more shims to make it tight? and should i do the same thing to the front gear box? i've already adjusted the backlash of the ball diff gear and the front one way so they both sitting tight (but not too tight) in the gearbox. any help would be really appreciated.
check the building of those shafts again m8, as when i finished mine there is no play all all. If anything i'd say the fit is alittle on the tight side and i can't imagine there quality control is such that it could ever get from tight to needing more spacers !!

You have got the purple shims on there as well as the washers haven't you ??

As for spacing the pinion and spur. A friend showed me a really easy way to get that perfect every time . Just put 1 size bigger than you want to use on the motor. Tighten the motor up with the pinion tight on the spur. now instal the pinion you wanted to use !! PERFECT mesh !! (64dp only)