R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 PM
John Wallace2
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
I had a Ballistic that was a dog, unless you geared it around 2.98 and cranked the timing past the "indicated" 45 degrees. The one I have now is much faster, even geared around 3.5 ..... with the timing decal showing about 42 degrees.

All I can say is that I don't believe the decal. Some may be spot on, but again toss a new stator and / or end bell at it and it's a different motor. Unless a serial number is going to be pressed into each individual component (I know that's not going to happen), again I don't believe in the timing decal. For big events, having a motolyser on hand so that competitors can verify true 45 degrees (and mark it on the end bell) could be one thing that helped. As for basic club racing, I'm simply ignoring it .
I race on big outdoor tracks (150-180 ft straight). At "real" 45 degrees timing we run 3.6 to 4.0 FDR depending on how technical the track is and make time in 12 minute mains (with little fall off in lap times). Not sure what the sweet spot is, but based on my dyno I'm leaving a significant amount of useable performanc on the table when I time the motor at 45 degrees using the motorlyser. If I ran smaller tracks I might want lower the timing and amp draw to give the motor more torque and acceleration. But for our tracks, 45 degrees is not where I would time the motor if there wasn't a 45 degree limit.

PS If you still have that dog motor, would you send it to me. I'd like test it on my equipment - I'll return it if you want.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 10-08-2014 at 06:40 PM.