R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 AM
BentKa
Tech Master

Originally Posted by the incubus
OK so let's use their own logic and my experience with manufacturing.

Many people do not realize why Hyundai can offer more car for less money so people automatically assume it's because they're cheap junk. While that may have been true once upon a time, when the company first ventured into manufacturing production cars, they have since improved pretty much everything in every respect and their vehicles are just as good as any other long lasting brands. The reason is that Hyundai manufactures EVERYTHING for their vehicles with the exception of the tires. This means they don't have to outsource things that they'd then have to mark up in order to maintain a profit margin.

So, by this logic, if X-ray is indeed manufacturing everything in-house, they should be able to sell for less because there's no outsourcing to pay for.

If they do make everything in-house, great! But to just label oneself as a luxury brand and hike up prices just to follow the moniker is pompous. I have vast experience in manufacturing and I know and have used the many of the same processes utilized in RC and I know what it costs to have things made. Tolerances depend on the type of equipment one uses but generally speaking, in today's age of technology, the vast majority of machining equipment is extremely accurate and no one's products are vastly more accurate than anyone else's. Been there, paid for it, won't ever do so again. Companies manufacture products in bulk so as to lower unit price but in RC that rarely transfers onto the end consumer.

And it's not just X-ray, so don't make it seem like I'm piling on just them. TLR is another one who is out of their minds with their pricing, none more so than their 224. They literally took a well aged existing design and modified it a touch to make it feel fresh and new, when in fact it's not so much.

This practice of price gouging is also rampant in all things Carbon Fiber (formally known as Graphite). Just the mere mention of CF means you'll be parting with a larger sum of dough in peoples' mind. Interestingly enough CF was developed as a more cost effective alternative to expensive and highly volatile metals used by the military. It was initially less expensive until the phrase "Space Age Material" became married to it and the price has continually risen every year.

Like I said, I love the the XB4 and all of X-ray's vehicles and products, but there is no denying they are overpriced. And you may call the SB401 an XB4 knockoff, but where did the XB4 originate?
From your post it doesn't sound like you have much experience in manufacturing to be honest.

You already lost me when you compared manufacturing cost in Slovakia, Europe with China, Taiwan and Hong Kong :roll eyes:

There is a reason for why almost every American manufacturer is outsourcing to the far east.
COST !
I remember all to well when my my beloved Cannondale bicycles suddenly were "Assembled in America"

And of course the cost is higher when you actually pay for the R&D behind the parts and not just produce a knock-off part.
Ever heard of 3D scanners ?

Seen the Team C touring car or their new tool line !??!?!?!?!?!?

And if you actually are serious about there not being any significant difference to the accuracy of low budget and high end production equipment you are even more in-experienced then you make out to be.

20 years ago I worked in the quality control department of a manufacturer of parts for Volvo, Saab and Scania.
I spent all my working days measuring, weighing, analyzing, scanning color variations etc.
And whenever we got a new machine (mostly German made) the tolerances drastically improved and the number of parts that where out of tolerances where fewer and far between.
But at the same time as our manufacturing cost went down we also had to calculate the cost of the new machinery which obviously had to be paid through the parts manufactured.
And guess where our old machines were shipped when we replaced them ?

For Xray they make almost everything in-house as one of the very few left in the business.

They have only done small things as heat treatment outside of the factory (but still in Slovakia), but they have recently added on to the factory and bought the machinery to do so in-house as well.

As a curiosity mr. Hudy himself have been racing,engineering and building race vehicles for decades.
As an example he already had pillow ball suspension on his race vehicles back in -86.

I suggest you either read up on the history and facts of a company before you try to slander them or just be polite enough to stay out of these threads

A good way of actually bringing some facts to the discussion would be to enter one of the races that are being held at the Hudy Racing Arena (one of the worlds best R/C facilities) and attend one of their factory guided tours

That way you can see it for yourself and actually appreciate the work and dedication behind the products

Bent