R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - old school dirt VS Sugar (hardpacked) opinions
Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Manufacturercup
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
1. Do you wish RC racing was more mainstream? with spectator and possible TV?
Yes, but only slightly so. The one thing the internet has helped with in a positive manner in the last 20 years or so is that most who follow the RC Racing, can do so much easier now than 20 years ago. All of the wed site coverage of various races and Live RC has done wonders for many in the hobby. Still, it can be a bit better than what it currently is, though I'm not exactly sure of the path that would need to be taken. With a bit more mainstream following, it should stand to reason that we would all have many more people in the hobby and racing side thereof. Yet, I'd be a little concerned that in going too mainstream, we'd all loose track of much of what we know of RC Racing to be now. It's a balance.
Should it get to the point that we follow the model of the other more mainstream full size forms of racing, I don't know if it would go over well with most racers. For example, if you don't qualify in the top 40, you go home. Many forms of full scale racing do that very thing, and it's pretty much accepted by all involved. We can't get RC racers to agree on much of anything, so I don't know how RC Racers come to terms with that type of racing format. It was posted that in order to gain better TV coverage, we'd have to change the current format to less qualifying and more racing. While that could help, I don't think that would have to be done. Look at MX and SX, the fans and racers are all there for most of the day, but the actual TV coverage is much less. It's possible to do the same in RC Racing.
As far as spectators go, i think the most common mistake that races make is advertise as "all day Sunday" or allowing spectators to show up throughout the day. you have to have a set "Show time" and keep the "show" less than 3 hours. I don't think people would be interested in staying any longer than that. Then change the format to Laps rather than time. And make the mains slightly shorter. I think something around 17 or 22 minutes is best. Then all you have to do is make sure you major mains fall within the "show times" and schedule backwards to find out when the rest of the mains need to start. practice, quals, and lower main can all be the same as normal because nobody outside of RC people will see it anyways. This is just my opinion but it worked for us.

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
True point, yet the event was only held for two years and never really got off the ground, which I really had hoped it would. Seemed like what was done there for those two years worked and worked well. Why it didn't continue on an annual I can only guess, but do look to seeing it return.
This is a good question. The reason is in the RC manufacturers really started tightening up their budgets because of the economy and to make an event the spectators will enjoy takes a lot and you need the support of the manufactures to make it work. But in my opinion, the economy is coming back enough to support something like this again. Especially because the manufacturers are a lot more professional looking these days with their team tents and such. crazy to think that stuff wasn't around back then.

sorry, this is somewhat off topic