R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
Didn't finish one race today. Had problems with my m05 ball diff loosening so I tightened it back down and I guess I went too tight and crushed the thrust bearing. Did some reading several hundred pages back.
If I replace the thrust bearing and screw and nut with parts out of the 416, this will solve my loosening problem right? Also, if I read correctly, they will also let me run a fairly tight diff as well, or did I misunderstand? Has anyone tried removing the small spacer between the bearings? I was thinking removing it would allow the outdrives to put more pressure on the balls.

Grandpa,
I did all the things you suggested and was able to run several laps at speed without flipping the car every corner. Hope to try changes further next time out, but first results were very good.
The problem with the M05 ball diff is just that. They work just fine if they are in perfect "tune", but they just don't stay that way for long. Rather than wasting more money on the M05 ball diff, replace it with a TA03 ball diff or one of the after market gear diffs. I have no experience with the gear diffs, but am very happy with the TA03 diff.

As far as building the diff properly, just build it per the instructions. The only things I'd add to the instructions is to cinch the diff screw tight and use loctite. I do sand the plates to make sure they are flat and replace the metal balls with ceramic ones. You can tighten the diff by using shims on the diff screw. Usually, 0.3 to 0.4 is plenty.

As far as running a tight diff with the M05 diff, forget it. You're depending on that little diff screw to apply the pressure. The diff was never designed to be run "tight".

This is just my opinion but the obsession to run "tight" diffs is unwarranted. I find that, for me, cars with tight diffs are unpleasant to drive and lack corner speed. Please keep in mind, I run on a relatively large, outdoor, asphalt track and my comments are restricted to that surface.