R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 PM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by irvinew
Sorry for the novice question but here goes.

I find that putting sauce on my foam tires; at least in the beginning before the tires dry out from 3 laps or so; doesn't really help.

But I can't help wonder why you use sauce on foam tires anyway. Isn't the sauce suppose to wear down the rubber; in TC for example; thus exposing new rubber? If that is true then since the foam simply sucks the additive in like a sponge why do we add tire sauce to foam? The traction cpd isn't really glue after all.

I have either used sticky fingers or corally sxt.

Shouldn't I just use a softer compound tire? We run in a old curling rink (concrete floor) and thus I assume the track takes longer to heat up.
In general tire sauce softens the foam of a foam tire and helps to prevent it from drying out.

Have you considered the issue may not be the sauce you are using but the process you use to cut the tires down? Fresh cut tires are more aggressive than tires with a few laps on them. Especially if you do not use a sanding stick on the surface after cutting them. Using a sanding stick does help in make the tires more consistent but doesn't eliminate it entirely. Fresh cut tires are rougher and have more edges to grip so until they have a few laps on them they will be more aggressive. This is something I've had to learn about carpet racing...still haven't quite got it down yet but working on it