R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho FW-05R
Thread: Kyosho FW-05R
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Joehwee
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi guy,

I have been driving the FW05R and switch to the RRR last year, I have some good run with RRR. Recently I have switch it back to the 05RR and I prefer the 05RR more than the RRR as I find maintaining the 05RR is easier.

Anyway the following is some of my experience;

I replace the stock pinons to K-factory hard-coated one and have no problem on the wear rate. However on the RRR, I can only replace the 2nd gear pinon and the 1st pinon will wear pretty fast due to the material.

The rear shock tower of the RRR is pretty weak, I have broke 2 in one race day cos someone just bump onto my car from the rear. Other that that both car are pretty strong.

It's true the RRR is lighter, my 05RR race ready with Titanium pvot balls, screws, Personal Transponder and Shimo Chassis weighted 1760g. But I dun think the 35g will make too much different.

I find the RRR corner faster and get up to speed faster but it is not as stable as the 05RR. Since the 05 transmission is smoother and you can also corner as fast if you can make use of it. The 05RR is easier to drive as it is more stable I can also push the car harder.

However one of the most important observation between the two car is, when the traction is good, the RRR is definately fast but when the traction goes off, the tail can be a little loose. as for the 05RR, it dun seem to affect by the traction that much.

Therefore;
If you want a lighter and faster car - V1RRR
If you want stable and less maintainace car - FW05RR

I also find I have slighty better runtime with my 05, the RRR also have more tune pipes option, and if you plan to run a Sirion engine, goes with the RRR with the sirio pipe, unless Sirio is coming out with a pipe for the fw05.

Lastly the RRR is cheaper than the 05RR cos the steel gear for the o5 is a necessary upgrade.

Last edited by Joehwee; 01-30-2005 at 09:33 PM.