R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Indoor Clay Tires Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Teufel Racing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Going off my local track conditions:
We do sauce. If the tires aren't squealing in and out of the corners, they aren't there yet. Below info is from use on a 2wd buggy (mod with a 7.5 and some light stock 17.5/13.5 running)

Barcodes:
Pretty much the standard default tire to run for the track. If all else fails, those usually always work. They are almost no good when brand new with new molded foams. They take a while to get them broke in to the sweet spot, but once there, are usually good for a couple months of racing or better (depending on how much racing one does and how much sauce is used on them)

With AKA or Pl molded inserts, the tire has a much more rounded profile. With the JC molded, they are a much flatter profile. Can't say for sure which one is better, but most I know opt for the AKA foams.

Good forward bite, with some real good side bite. A very predictable tire to run once broke in and is usually a fast tire or a faster tire to run. Steering wise with Barcode fronts, can feel a bit pushy when new, but do last a lot longer than the rears, and when the tires are broke in, have a very consistent feel. Doesn't feel like they over steer or under steer. Many who run Barcodes will run them front and rear.

Suburbs (rear):
Has some of the most forward bite I have used. Side bite is a bit hit or miss. Doesn't always feel super predictable. Could be because of the tread height, but just don't seem to be very favored by most. They do take forever to get broke in enough to where they will work (if just running them in, the use of something to take the tread height down enough, would probably help them work better sooner, I haven't went that route as of yet). I have got them to work decently enough, but not always a fast tire option. I have tried them with the stock foams and they did seem to work better. Felt a little more consistent. Can also help it the track is a bit dry or dryish with gaining some extra rear traction.
Suburb (front):
These have an insane amount of steering. Possibly the most I have run. When used with something like the Barcode (V1) on the rear that keeps the rear more locked in, works very good. When used with a rear Suburb, has so much steering on the front end, the back end will snap around almost at will. This is a front tire that many would need to be careful which rear tire they choose, or could need to back off the dual rate a bunch to keep from over steering.
Scrubs:
With the AKA foams, can be a bit pushy feeling when new, or when the track is too wet. A good front tire when broke in, but how they may feel could be directly related to the rear tire of choice. I think the use of the stock front foam (either a full foam stuffed in there or a 3/4 foam), could help them work better on a wider variety conditions. When paired with the Suburbs, seem to work pretty good and the Suburbs seem to stay under the rear more consistently. Not sure why that is. These are a directional front tire as well, so be careful which way you mount them.

Typos:
When these came out, they almost knocked the trusty barcodes out of the default track tire for the local track. They don't seem to need a very long break in period. Somewhere between a practice pack or three and they are usually pretty close to being right where they need to be. Forward bite is pretty good. The side bite feels a bit progressive. In that they don't exactly have a ton instantly where they'd want to traction roll, but doesn't just snap loose. They will eventually, but feel like the further into a corner they go, the more side bite they have.
The fronts seem to work really well with the rears. Have a solid steering feel, not over steering, but plenty of steering. My only complaint with the fronts is that the foams don't seem to hold up as long as the older 2.2 style foams did/do. Not sure why that is. The rears can get to feeling the same way, but I've always felt the fronts get that feel first. They still work well, just something that tends to bug many I know who run them often. When running the whole Typo setup, they feel very consistent out on the track. The only reason they would have taken over the default tire honors, would be because they don't need a ton of brake in time to start turning fast laps. Still one of my go to tire setups to run.

Deja Vu/Pinstripe:
Deja Vu's are a lot like the suburb rears in that they have a lot of forward bite, but don't seem the have a consistent side bite feel to them. I have got them to work, but I think if the tread height was about half of what they are, could work better sooner. As such, I haven't put a ton of runs in with them, but the last few times I have used them they were much better.
Pinstripe's work well, but similar to the Scrub's, can feel pushy. For me even more so. I'm told that if you take off the very outer and inner rib off they work much better, though I have yet to try that. When paired with the Deja Vu rears, work decently enough to run. Not super fast lap times, but workable. The one thing I feel with that setup is that if you over drive the tires, that's when they don't feel the best. Kind of like how Holeshots always felt to me. If you didn't over drive the tire, they could be fast, but over drive them and they were anything but.

Electron (f/r)/Transistor:
As of late, these have been my go to tire setup. Brake in seems to be on par with the Typos, with the rears feeling a bit more aggressive in both forward and side bite. Just feel like you can drive them harder before getting into trouble. Once broke/worn in, have a very distinct sound to them. Almost sounds like you're ripping Velcro apart. The down side to the rears is that they don't seem to last as long as some like or would like.
Electron/transistor fronts:
These both are a good paring to the Electron rears. The Transistors have a Barcode front feel to them. Pretty balanced feeling, maybe slightly on the push side, with a consistent steering feel. The Electron fronts have a feel of more steering similar to a Typo front with out feeling like they over steer. For me, if I run these tires and start with the Transistor and feel like I need just a little more steering, I switch to the Electron and have the exact setup I want/need. This setup for me is a very consistent setup to run, with the setup leaning more to the aggressive side.