R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB Evo 6
Thread: Tamiya TB Evo 6
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 AM
CraigMBA
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I do wonder how my will hold up, my first run will be later this month. I'm using carbon reinforced gears in the transmission cases, but I minimized the amount of shims under the pinion gear to reduce as much of the dirty/grindy gear feeling against the ring gear as possible. No slop, turns nicely, but it's hard to tell if the mesh is good. Since the kit called for 0.3mm and I only have 0.1mm between the pinion and the smaller bearing, I worry
You should. It's not going to live very long, and it will be noisy after the gears bed in.

The way to reduce plunge is to add shims on the side of the shaft that is outside the case till you can't fit anymore.

The 40t tb04 ring gears have some molding irregularities that show up with a "rough spot" that shows up at even intervals if you turn it by hand. Where it seems like its going to be the death of the gearbox, all the roughness goes away after you run the car and bed in the gears once.

If the OCD in you can't stand the idea of them not being perfect, buy two packages of Tamiya 51255 Evo5 39 tooth one way gears, throw the pinions away, and install them instead of the 40T TB04 ring gears. You will have to adjust your gear ratio slightly (the ratio is 2.4375 rather than the 2.5).

Ive ran it both ways. Other than the pinion, there isn't any difference.